Saturday, May 31, 2008

Super Savings Friday

This post is written for "Super Savings Saturday" at Money Saving Mom (here). I have been carefully reading and researching how to play the "drugstore game". Even after all the testimonials, I have to be honest, I was amazed at how well it worked!

Walgreen's trip #1:
3 Jumbo pkgs of Huggies Diapers $9.49
1 Excedrine migraine $1.99
Total: $30.46

I used:
$10 off $30 purchase
$1.50/1, $1.50/1, $1/1 Huggies coupons
$2/1 Excedrine printable coupon
New Total: $15.89
I will get a $5 Huggies rebate, so I will only have paid $10.89 for the 3 packages of diapers. Not bad.

I felt good about the first trip, I decided to take a second one that was more complicated... I was surprised again - it worked!

Walgreen's trip #2:
6 bags Chex Mix $0.99 ea
1 Colgate Wave TB $2.99
3 Edge gel 7oz. $2.99 ea.
1 208 ct. Huggies wipes $7.49
1 72ct. Huggies wipes $2.50
1 Excedrine Migraine $1.99
1 6pk Ensure $8.49
Total: $38.37

I used:
$10 off $30 purchase
$0.50/1, $0.50/1 Huggies wipes coupons
$2/1 Excedrine printable coupon
6 $1/1 Chex Mix Coupons
2 $1/1 Edge Shave gel printable coupons
3 $1/1 Edge Shave gel Walgreen's coupons
1 $2/1 Walgreens's Colgate TB coupon
1 $1/1 Colgate printable coupon
New Total: $11.24

The Ensure was Free after Rebate, so after that my total will be $2.75! (In hindsight, I maybe could have done better... I maybe could have used 3 of the June SS coupons on the Shave gel, and gotten something small (to get over $30) so I didn't have to buy the Ensure, but maybe then my total would have been negative, or I would have had too many coupons...? Overall, I am happy with $2.75!)


This stuff is from Target and Walmart... There weren't any "new" newspaper coupons last weekend (and I don't have a stash yet), so mostly I just got the stuff I new was "free" or inexpensive. This all cost about $15. (Which - now - seems like a lot to me.) The lightbulbs were $2 each, and some of the cereal was $1.50 - Most of the rest was free after coupons. I know, I know - how much cereal can one family eat?! :-)

3 comments:

Marie said...

Hi,
I am learning about coupons and especially shopping at Walgreens. Looks like you did a great job, I have some questions, if you don't mind answering, were you able to print off two of those $10 coupons. I was under the impression that you could only print the same coupon once. As I printed off one of those chex mix coupons and used it, then I printed off another one and used if a different trip and it wouldn't accpept it. Any input is appreciated! Thanks! Phallin

everyday blessings said...

I don't think it matters, but I printed one of the $10 off coupons from home and one from work. I think you can print as many as you need, but I guess I didn't try...? As far as the Chex Mix coupons and others that I printed two of: I actually think I had the same problem as you? When they scanned my coupons, some would scan fine and the 'duplicate' one I printed at the same time would beep and the cashier would type something or press a key and then it would work. I think this same thing has been happening to me at Target and Walmart, too. No one has refused my coupons, but they have had to type something in... Best of luck to you with your 'couponing'!

Our4Monkeys said...

That has happened to me with several of my internet coupons and the cashier has to push it through. Maybe you could save your coupon and try again later with a different cashier...? They should have no problem accepting it, they just have to manually push it through. You can print the same coupon twice on coupons.com, boodle.com, couponbug.com, etc. You can also print coupons twice from most sites by pushing "back" and then "refresh" after your first coupon has printed.