Monday, January 12, 2009

Wanted: Sensitivity Training

It is no secret that my husband could use some sensitivity training. This has often been true in our marriage - even from the very beginning. A good example: We were married on January 2nd, and I didn't receive even a card for our first Valentine's Day - which of course, prompted a flood of disappointed tears.

Since then, Joel's had several more missteps but lately it's been foolish "pregnancy comments". (This isn't new - anyone remember the story of the "Table for 12" from my pregnancy with Grant?) Here was tonight's conversation at dinner:

Joel: "So Reagan, what did you do today?" (he almost always says this at dinner)
Reagan: "I don't know." (she almost always says this in return)
Me: "Um... We played upstairs for a long time."
Joel: "What did you play upstairs, Reagan?"
Reagan: "Hide and Go Seek!"
Joel: (mildly surprised) "With Mommy??"
Reagan: "Yep!"
Joel: (looking at me and with shock in his voice) "Where would you hide?!"

Ah, Joel -- it's a good thing you're so loveable the rest of the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason had his share of pregnancy one-liners also...I heard myself being referenced to a cow and was greeted as beefy one night...I sympathize. -em

ModFarmhouse said...

Every morning at about 7am, Ava comes down the stairs and hops in bed with us for a quick snuggle. Here is what she and Noah had a conversation about 2 weeks ago....

Noah: "Mommy looks like a battleship... she has a baby cannon!"

Ava: "I think she looks more like a tug boat... because she could still fit under a bridge."

Me: "Nice."

Hope it makes you feel... well... I hope you at least get a smile!

Anna