Friday, January 16, 2009

Cabin Fever

My kids have a serious case of Cabin Fever. They are no different than all the other kids in the midwest 'trapped' by snowstorms and frigid temperatures :) It's been a long week!

Yesterday, I took them to my sister, Sadie's house while I had a doctor's appointment. They were so thrilled to be out of the house! Our garage door opener was frozen, but when I started the van and it actually worked, I (with my big pregnant belly) disconnected the opener and heaved the garage door up by myself. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The kids were so happy to be at Sadie's (and I was SO happy to have 2 hours by myself!!) that when it was time for us to leave, there were tears. Reagan insisted that she was too sad to buckle her seatbelt and Grant arched his back and screeched to try and prevent me from buckling him into his car seat. Reagan kept saying "But I don't want to go back to our house!" I know, Sweetie. I don't really want to go back there either.

Reagan ended up crying nearly halfway to our house. I tried ignoring her (that didn't work) and then tried telling her that she would see "her friends" again next week (that didn't work, either). Finally, I tried empathy -- "Its ok, Reagan - I know its hard." Through her tears, she said "Yeah, its just really hard to control myself when I'm this sad."

"Reagan - we're just going home for supper. It's ok. Really."

3 comments:

Chervenka5 said...

We are definitely going crazy here too. We actually went to the zoo this morning (the car read 1 degree for the temperature) just so we could go somewhere!

Our4Monkeys said...

It was funny (but not funny...) watching Reagan when you guys were leaving. The way that she was crying, I was kind of wondering if she knew intuitively that I was going to die or something...I'm going to be nervous about that until I see her again! =)

Laura Stauffer said...

Hannah was begging to go to the grocery store just so we could get out....We are right there with you!