Monday, October 5, 2009

Dear Old Man Winter,

The weatherman hinted at your coming already this year, so I thought I should let you know that we are not yet ready for your arrival. You overstayed your welcome last year, and honestly - I still haven't quite recovered.

Please don't misunderstand me. The kids and I would be disappointed if you cancelled your trip here completely. Talking about you conjures up happy feelings and images of fireplaces, hot cocoa, and warm-woolen mittens. I love a good snowstorm as much as the next guy, and the look on my children's faces at your first snowfall is downright magical.

And Christmas - how could we forget Christmas?! The music you bring with you at Christmastime is my very favorite! Spring flowers and fall leaf piles pale in comparison to my love for your music and my excitement for Christmas shopping!

All that being said, I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't say this also: You've gotten a little carried away the last couple of years. Seriously, and its not just me that's saying this, either. I've heard talk around town about you, and not many are happy to hear from you again - they aren't saying nice things. You've earned your reputation as a cranky Old Man, but I know you're capable of much better.

So please, come for Christmas - not sooner, and duck out early in March. Your snow is dirty and icy by then, anyway. Our coats and snowpants are ready, so bring some sledding weather with you and we'll make a snowman in your honor. We can't wait for your frosty window panes, your family get-togethers, and your TV specials. But if you would - please leave behind the freezing rain and bitter wind chills? Let's make some happy memories this year. :)

We'll still look forward to your arrival -- just be gentle with us this year, ok? Let Spring and Fall have their time too.

Sincerely Yours,
The Bartlett Family

4 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

Sally... you speak for many of us!!!

Anonymous said...

yes yes and yes!!! hillarious!!
em

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Sarah Majerus

Jessie said...

Amen!